If you require assistance towards the cost of the funeral there is a ‘Funeral Support Payment‘, this could help pay for funeral costs if you live in Scotland. It usually will not cover the full cost of the funeral but it could help pay for some costs.
To find out more you can call 0800 182 2222 or visit their website at mygov.scot
- you are responsible for paying for a funeral
- you get certain benefits or tax credits
- it is reasonable* for you to accept responsibility for the funeral costs
- the person who died lived in the UK
- the funeral take place in the UK.
You can apply from when the person dies, and up to six months after the funeral.
*Usually, it is reasonable for the nearest relative of the person who died to accept responsibility for the funeral costs. A nearest relative could be a partner, child, parent or sibling. If you or your partner are not the nearest relative, you’ll need to explain when you apply, why it’s reasonable to have accepted responsibility.